In 1950 the association the Noord-Nederlandse Golf & Country Club (NNG & CC) was founded. The first years the golf game was practiced on the "inner terrain" of Eelde Airport. In 1952 the association bought the estate "De Poll" in Glimmen from Mr. W. Rost Onnes. The estate, now 60 hectares, borders on the east side with the nature reserves "Westerlanden" and "Besloten Venen" The boundary on the west side is formed by De Drentse Aa and the railway line that was opened in 1870. In 1871 the estate, including the country house that was built in 1816, purchased by Mr JBRF Count Dumonceau de Bergendal, part of which still serves as a machine farm and workshop.
The country house that was commissioned in 1914 by the then owner of "De Poll", Mr. JH Geertsema Wzn. was built, has been in use as a club house of the NNG & CC since 1954. It was expanded in 1991 to offer suitable accommodation for an 18-hole golf course, without losing the intimacy of the original building.
The design of the original 9-hole golf course, by Sir Guy Campbell, made use of the beautiful park layout of the estate, of which especially the rhododendrons give the NNG & CC national fame. This 9-hole course, laid out on 42 hectares of the estate, was opened in 1954.
The renovation of the existing holes and the extension to 18 holes, after 13 hectares of land were purchased from the neighbors, was designed by Frank Pennink and realized in 1987 in such a way that the existing and the new holes blend harmoniously and the structure of the old one estate has been continued on the newly purchased site. When it became possible to take over 3.3 hectares of adjacent land, the design and the course were optimized in 1998 by the design of Donald Steel. The proof that golf course and nature can go well together is the fact that the estate "De Poll" falls under the nature conservation law of 1928 from the beginning, but also after the various expansions.