West Sussex Golf Club
It was Commander George Hillyard who conceived the idea of a golf club on sandy farmland at Wiggonholt near Pulborough. His house overlooked an area of heather and marsh which he thought would make an idyllic setting for a natural course. How right he was! This land was subsequently purchased by the Ravenscroft and Henderson families and then leased to the newly formed West Sussex Golf Club.
The course was designed and constructed by the renowned architects Campbell and Hutchison and completed in September 1930 when play started. (From 2006, Hotchkin was recognised for his significant contribution to West Sussex)
West Sussex has no detractors, merely happy throngs of ardent admirers. It is everybody''s idea of what a good golf course should be. In the modern world where length is cardinal, its secrets lie within the noble terrain of heather and pine and the inspiring backdrop of the Sussex Downs. It is the variety, charm and challenge of individual holes that sets it apart, something rarely achieved. West Sussex’s strength is there are no weaknesses.