The Alwoodley Golf Club was founded in 1907. The course was laid out that year on Wigton Moor, part of the Harewood estate, on the outskirts to the north of Leeds.
One of the founders was a local GP called Dr Alister MacKenzie, who would also design the course.
Alwoodley was the first course that MacKenzie created and he would go on to become one of the most treasured golf course architects in the game’s history.
His masterpieces span the globe and include Augusta National and Cypress Point in the USA, and Royal Melbourne in Australia. Each of these is commonly regarded as being one of the best 10 golf courses in the world.
The original MacKenzie layout remains at Alwoodley to this day. The course has now been lengthened to over 6,900 yards from the championship tees. The club have been careful to retain the heathland and moorland characteristics of the course, as well as the MacKenzie hallmarks of variety, natural beauty and intriguing strategy.