Hankley Common Golf Club was first opened for play over nine holes in 1897. In 1922 James Braid advised on the addition of a further nine holes. Bobby Locke described the course as the closest resemblance to a seaside links and the famous course architect, Charles Lawrie, once described the course as "one of the best inland layouts in Britain".
The 7th hole is looked upon as being one of the finest par 3s in the country and the magnificent 18th a superb but challenging finishing hole.
The course and surrounding area are classified as a ‘Site of Special Scientific Interest'' which includes a number of indigenous trees such as Rowan, Oak and Silver Birch, together with the invading Scots Pine. The course is also home to many birds and animals, including the rare Dartford Warbler, Woodlark, Night Jar, Adder, Deer, Badger and the Sand Lizard.