Rye Golf Club
Rye is a private members' golf club in East Sussex. Its two courses, the Old and Jubilee, are beautiful examples of traditional links, on the south coast of England.
In the early 1890s, golfers in the Rye and Hastings area discussed the possible creation of a golf course at Camber. A meeting held at the George Hotel in Rye on 28th November 1893, decided that ''a Golf Club should be formed; links to be situated over the Camber sandhills''. Work started immediately, a course was laid out and the first competition took place in February 1894.
The Rev J.L. Bates, Rector of Iden, was an active Chairman of a committee coordinating the construction of the course and organising the newly formed club. H.S. Colt, a solicitor, was elected as the first Captain and he designed 18 holes in 1895, which became the permanent course. This set him on a new career as a golf course designer of national and international renown.
The adjacent Royal William hotel, then no more than a wooden shack, provided accommodation and meals until a temporary clubhouse was built in 1894. The ''temporary'', much altered, building is still in use today.
History Rye golf ClubBy the end of the century there were over 250 members, many from London. Lady members were admitted from the start, 32 being enrolled in 1894. The Club prospered in the early years and became well known as one of the leading golf clubs in the south of England.